The Surrealist artists sought to channel the unconscious thoughts as a means to unlock the power of the imagination. They did not place value on rationalism and literary realism.
The work of Sigmund Freud was profoundly influential for Surrealists, particularly his book,The Interpretation of Dreams (1899). Freud legitimized the importance of dreams and the unconscious mind; his exposure of the complex and repressed inner worlds of human desires is the basis for much of Surrealism.
Surrealism 's style is contradictory and paradoxical. The photos are so nonchalant and hyper-realistic seeming. However, their images are juxtaposed by irrational content and meaning, therefore emphasizing the dreamlike quality of the art. Such artist that used this style were. Dalí, Tanguy, and Magritte is painted in .
Swedish Photographer | Born: 1980
Tommy Ingberg is a self-taught photographer and visual artist, born 1980 in Sweden. He works with photography and digital image editing, creating minimalistic and self-reflecting surreal photo montages dealing with human nature, feelings and thoughts.
Tommy leaves the interpretation of his work up to the viewer but says, "For me, surrealism is about trying to explain something abstract like a feeling or a thought, expressing the subconscious with a picture. The Reality Rearranged series is my first try at describing reality trough surrealism. During the two and a half years I have worked on the series I have used my own inner life, thoughts and feelings as seeds to my pictures. In that sense the work is very personal, almost like a visual diary. Despite this subjectiveness in the process I hope that the work can engage the viewer in her or his own terms. I want the viewers to produce their own questions and answers when looking at the pictures, my own interpretations are really irrelevant in this context."
Kyle Thompson’s hauntingly surreal photographs evade narrative and easy answers. We make associations and attempt to form meanings that that artist has indicated, but are left with only more questions.
Yet Thompson’s work is gratifying: elegant compositions. Rich colors. Powerful juxtapositions. Each image is unique, but form a complex body of work. This in essence gives a very modern day surrealist feel. Eerily realistic, but powerfully dreamlike.
Kyle Thompson was born in Chicago on January 11th, 1992. He began taking photographs at the age of nineteen after finding interest in nearby abandoned houses. His work is mostly composed of self portraits, often taking place in empty forests and abandoned homes.
He is currently based in Portland, OR
The assignment: Surreal Photo Montage
Inspired by the work of Tommy Ingred, KYLE THOMPSON and the surrealist movement students are going to create a photo montage using 80 percent of their own photos. Students will create a dreamlike scene that merges a human element with (at least one) non human element in a creepily realistic way. The student will achieve this realism by cutting, pasting, blending, and coloring their photo pieces to insure that all photos "feel" they belong together.
- Answer the project intro questions (this will be a google form)
- Look at examples of\ Surreal art to brainstorm
- Decide on what human element you want to work with (face, foot, hand etc) Remember everything in surrealism has meaning and symbolism. What symbolism does an eye have or a foot? Keep this in mind.
- Decide what you want to merge or "Combine" with you element. magrete for his eye combined the sky. Do you want floral things or machinery ie gears and stuff. Do you want to merge it with more humanistic things is more people.
- Take photos. You will most likely need to do some if not most at home. You are going to need some portrait work probably so talk to one another and see if you can model for each other. Remember these do not have to be off your face.
- Take more photos than you need and take multiple angles of the same subject. This will become very helpful in the editing phase
- Do not limit yourself
- Place at least 30 photos on your portfolio for 50 points for a "progress grade"
- Import to your Mac and begin the photo managing. The tutorial below will walk through the photoshop portion of your project. We all will begin working on photoshop WEDNESDAY so make sure you have at least your human part photographed and ready!!!!!!!!
- This project is due January 29th NO WHINNING